Tuesday, September 3, 2013

recovery



This is my view from my recliner...new home for a few weeks.  I am happy to report that I am on my way to recovery.  Here's a recap...

Wednesday - Checked in at the hospital at 11:00.  At 11:30 I was taken back to preop.  IV put in, hospital gown on, paperwork signed and we waited.  12:00 was scheduled surgery time.  Things were not running on time, but that turned out to be to my advantage.  At 1:30 I was wheeled into the OR.  Due to the lateness of everything Dr Jensen (plastic surgeon) was able to make it into the OR 20 minutes after surgery had started.  Which was fabulous! Both doctors were able to operate together and surgery was completed in 3 ish hours instead of the scheduled 5 hours.  
   Waking up was not fun.  I had the feeling as if an elephant was sitting on my chest.  So heavy and painful.  Pain meds were quickly given and pain was reduced.  Within an hour I was in my hospital room and trying to get my bearings on all that had happened.  Due to all the pain medication, that day and the next are still somewhat of a blur.  Scott and the nurse did try to get me walking that night and I could only make it a few steps before feeling like I was going to pass out.

Thursday - I awoke with a ravenous appetite.  Scott cracked up at what I ate all day...Ham and cheese omelet, toast, cheeseburger, fries, Italian Ice and more.  Crazy!  I felt pretty good.  Was able to go walking a couple of times, had a sponge bath, put on my own PJ's, brushed my teeth and had some visitors.
   I surprised everyone and was able to go home at 4:00.  That was exciting for me.  Little did I realize how medicated I truly was.  It felt good to get home.  

The weekend had plenty of ups and downs.  Friday I got sick from Percocet and found out that it was too strong for me.  Not fun!  Kenzie and Jensen washed my hair each day and that was quite the process.  Showering was tiring enough.  My recliner is set up in the family room, so at night I would text Scott when I needed to get up or take pain meds.  Neither of us got much sleep.   Last night (Monday), I finally slept all night.  It was glorious!  The weekend has been a roller coaster ride and I feel now that I have turned the corner on recovery.  

I am so appreciative for all the kind text's, phone calls, flowers, goodies and thoughtful gifts. Each of them have brightened my day and helped me stay strong.  Scott, Kenzie, Jensen and Alec have been AMAZING!  They have been there every step of the way.  I would not have made it through the weekend without them.  They kept me positive, helped me in and out of the recliner (yes, I can not even work the recliner), brought me whatever I'm craving, sat by me, watched my TV shows, helped me dress, shower and wash my hair and given me immense amount of support.  I am so very lucky!

Recovery has been a humbling experience.  I do not regret my decision for surgery.  The outcome is amazing and will only improve from here.  My doctors (Dr. Tittensor and Dr. Jensen) are the best!  It can only get better from here on out!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the update Brandee! I've been thinking about you this past week and hoping you and your family were doing ok. I hope the recovery is all up from here! You are awesome Brandee.