Wednesday, September 25, 2013

One Month



It has been one month since my prophylactic bilateral mastectomy (PBM).
What a mouth full!  At times I still can't believe I had surgery.
My recovery seems to be going really well.
The doctors are very pleased with how well my body has recovered.
At times I feel like it has been forever since surgery and at 
other times it feels as if time has flown by.

Here is where I stand to date...
~I have good days and not so good days. Each day
I am feeling stronger.  Some days I have more pain
and discomfort than others.  I think that will
be the story as long as I have the expanders...
darn Foobies!

~I have pretty good arm mobility.  I am still
limited in my arms reaching straight up.
So, I can't wear anything that goes
over my head. Only zip up or button up.

~I take daily walks.  My speed and endurance
are increasing, which is fabulous!

~I can not clean the house for another
two weeks. Poor Scott and Alec
who have to do it.

~I no longer have to have the expanders filled.
That is a very good thing.  It is painful
to have them filled with saline.
They are hard as rocks.

~I am now healing and waiting for the next surgery.
November 1st I will have my exchange surgery.
Woo Hoo! I can't wait for these expanders
to be gone! 

~I can drive.  Although I have only driven
very short distances.

~Scars look amazing! Very minimal.

~Sneezing still hurts.

~I still sleep propped up in bed.
Can't lay flat or on my side...Ouch!

I really can't complain about my recovery.
My surgeons are pleased and surprised with my progress.
Now it is a trial of my patience.  Even though I feel
great I have to take it easy and lay low.
The body is not ready to be back at 100%.

I am so grateful for all the prayers and service
 on my behalf. I feel so blessed and
 extremely fortunate.
Thank you everyone!

As always, KNOW your family history 
(ovarian and breast cancer),
EDUCATE yourself and be tested for BRCA.


No comments: