Thursday, January 8, 2009

Balance

With the new year upon us, I decided to adopt a tradition from a couple of friends. At the start of a new year they pick a word that they want to work on. This year I have chosen Balance. With two teenagers, an 8 yr old boy, a busy husband and my crazy life I figured balance is what I need this year. Why? Where do I begin?

I love to workout. It is "my" time. I get to release and work out any frustrations or stress. It is important to me. That is my sacred time. With that being said, it also occupies a lot of time. It takes a lot of time to get in cardio each day and weight train 2 x's a week. There are times I feel guilty for spending that time on myself. There are always plenty of other things that I could or should be doing. That is why I need to balance.

Kids! Carpools, dance, piano, swim, scouts, basketball, golf, shopping, ortho appointments, Dr. appointments, friends, movies, etc... Perhaps another driver in the house will help achieve some balance in this area.

One week ago I received a new calling in our ward. The moment I was asked to be Young Women's President I felt the pressure of this important stewardship. I also felt extremely humbled and inadequate. Such an important calling. We have great Young Women in our ward. I feel so honored to serve them.

As I pondered what my word for the year would be there was no question in my mind that balance was what I needed. Balance in scheduling, words, actions, service, being a mom, wife, friend, leader and a daughter of God. I cannot feel guilty for working out. That will help me stay focused and stress free. The laundry will still be there and I will find the time to do it. I want each moment and day in "2009" to count. Whether it be bonding with the family, serving in the church, learning to golf, cleaning house, going on vacation, playing a game or just hanging out. I realize that I need to put ME on my list each day in order for their to be some balance in my life. I have to prioritize and take each day as it comes. There will be days where I get a lot accomplished and then there will be days where I will go to lunch with friends and shop. Its all about balance.

So, here I go. Embracing "2009", my new responsibilities and trying to achieve balance. I am hoping I can do this with a little grace, some gentle reminders from my family and a lot of new memories.

2 comments:

kara jayne said...

I LOVE your word!!! I may have to make it my 2010 word. Great thoughts.

Shawni said...

I have had SO many words I've been thinking of for 2009...balance was actually one of them. I love it.

Wow those girls in your ward are so lucky to get you for their leader! You're going to do so awesome!