Thursday, March 4, 2010

"I am sorry"

Yesterday I sat in my sweats, watching sad movies, feeling the weight of my trial and eating cookie dough. I was not able to function. This trial was taking everything out of me and the weight was becoming unbearable. I had said countless prayers and was waiting for my answer in how to proceed forward.

I started reflecting. I wonder if the Savior felt like this at times, although I am sure his pain was much greater than mine. The Savior endured so much for each of us. I can not imagine all that he burdened. I am so grateful for all he did on my behalf.

As I sat pondering these thoughts it came! The spirit spoke to me loud and clear. It was not a whisper. It was a strong, loud, clear voice... ASK FOR FORGIVENESS.

It was going to take get strength on my part. I was going to need help. This would be one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. I did know that with the Savior by my side I would be able to accomplish this.

In life we look for the right and the wrong, but there is not always a right and a wrong. So then what do we do?

It is inevitable that through our life we may offend someone and we most likely do not mean to offend and we may not even be aware that it has occurred. In YW's we talked about being a peacemaker. If you truly intend to be a peacemaker, you must be willing to take the high road, apologize and ask for forgiveness. That is not always easy.

I never meant to offend. It seems that somewhere along the way I did. So, I mustered up all my courage and strength. I baked some beautiful loaves of homemade bread (a little comfort food.) And off I went.

I will not sugar coat this...saying "I am sorry" and asking for forgiveness is not always an easy task. There were some that I needed to make amends with. With the Savior by my side I knew I would be able to do this. I was so nervous and sick inside.

I felt so much better once I had asked for forgiveness and apologized. The weight was lifted off my shoulders. I was lighter and free. It is such a great feeling. I know that I have done my part. It is up to the others to forgive and forget.

What did I learn....communication is so very important, there is not always a right or a wrong, we should not try to lay blame on someone and saying "I am sorry" is so freeing. Prayer guided me step by step. I am so grateful for the power of prayer and the companionship of the Holy Ghost.

This just proves that my word for the year...."I Can Do" is so fitting. I Can Do!! I endured, learned, leaned on great friends, had wise counsel and connected with my Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

Chris and Kristy said...

Inspiration is a wonderful gift. At times, it's hard to accept the answer we get. "I am sorry" are some of the most beautiful and moving words in the english language. I admire your example and willingness to follow through with the answers you receive, even when it's hard. Your actions provide me with courage and hope that I can be a better person and take the high road, even when it's hard!