Wednesday, October 20, 2010

~friends~

Life is so delicate, fragile and precious. We never know when our path will take a twist and turn. Recently I found out that a friend and her family had received horrible news. News that changes your life. Today I found out that my friend is losing her battle. As I absorb this and think of her family...she has 2 teenage kids. My heart breaks for them and what they are enduring. Then, I reflect on when did I last see her? I should have done a better job at keeping in touch, I certainly didn't do my best at being a friend. I let life get in the way.

As I ponder the "I should have," "I could have," and the "why didn't I," I get ashamed at my lack of being a "TRUE" friend. It is so easy to let LIFE take over and push things to the side. Laundry will always be there, the dirty floor will still be there and most definitely the grimy bathrooms will still be waiting. But, friends are not always there. Boy, did I miss out on some great memories and times.

In January I picked "I Can do Hard Things" to focus on this year. And let me tell you, I have had plenty of "hard things" to tackle and overcome. Amazing how life works that way. I have had physical, emotional, spiritual and character building opportunities. I am grateful for each of them, as I have grown and learned through doing them.

Now as the year is quickly coming to an end, I have decided that I need to do a few more "hard things." I need to serve more, I need to put aside the "To Do" list and talk to a friend, I need to make more contact with family and friends near and far. The thing is, if I don't make an effort than who will? Someone has to take the first step and I missed opportunities with my friend. I don't want that to happen with anyone else.

When you look at the big picture what really matters and what can you take with you? The clean house is not a priority and it can't go with you. Family, friends and relationships are what matters. I need to set the example for my kids to follow. I hope to be more thoughtful, observant, caring and considerate. So that my family and friends will know that I am there for them.

No comments: